The student news site of Shelton Intermediate School

The SIS Viking

Was it a catch? Yes, says Pigskin Prognosticator (and Cowboys fan) Eric L.

Was it a catch? The refs said no, Eric L. says yes.

Eric L., Viking Sports Reporter

Editors Note: Viking Sports Reporter Eric L. wrote an editorial about the controversial play that decided the Dallas/Green Bay NFL playoff game last weekend. Green Bay ultimately won the game when a catch by Dallas receiver Dez Bryant was ruled incomplete. The opinions expressed are not necessarily those shared by the SIS Viking.

Dez Bryant had many incredible catches throughout his Cowboys career. But the one he caught in Green Bay against the Packers will be remembered for a long time.

It was 4th and 2 on the Green Bay 32 yard line when Dallas quarterback Tony Romo snapped the ball and looked for Bryant , who was wide left. Romo threw the ball up in the air towards Bryant, who made a leaping catch at the 1 yard line. Though the Cowboys should of went for a short pass to get the first down,  the offensive coordinator chose to go deep and gave Bryant the chance to go up and catch it for the lead.

The official near the sideline motioned that Bryant had made the catch and spotted it at the 1 yard line. But Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy challenged the play.

To me, it looked like Dez had full possession of the football and it should of been a catch, downed at the 1-yard-line.

When the official was done reviewing the play he made the call and said Bryant didn’t have possession of the ball and the ball hit the ground. When the Cowboys players and fans heard  they were angry and confused on how that was not a catch.  After the game Bryant told the media that he took two steps before he fell and also said that his knee and elbow was down when he had possession of the football in his left hand.

In my opinion I think that Dez Bryant did make the catch because he had the possession of the football in his left hand when both elbow and knees were down.