The SIS Viking

Headmaster’s Corner: Holidays bring reflection on a special past and projection to a bright future

Mr. Kenneth Saranich

Mr. Kenneth Saranich

Dear Friends of SIS,

As we enter the holiday season, I would like to take this opportunity to share with you my thoughts on the importance of this time.  This is a season of giving, of generosity and kindness.  It is a time where we highlight and focus on the specific attributes and values that we are defining this year in our school community.  As I see these values demonstrated during this time in the spirit of the season, it makes me think of family, which of course leads my thoughts to Shelton Intermediate School.

It is a time of year when we are touched by the memories of the past and we look forward to what special moments tomorrow will bring.  I have always felt that this time of year should be spent with the people closest to each of us.  To celebrate together the core values you believe in and reflect on the meaning of the season.

As I reflect, I recognize how blessed I continue to be as the Headmaster of SIS, I am thankful for the support I receive from the entire school community.  You continue to show your support and gratitude in your work and your actions towards each other every day.   It is this support of each other that demonstrates why SIS is a special place.

During this holiday season, no matter who you are with or how you celebrate, rejoice in the small things that make our being here truly worthwhile.  Think about those values that we have identified:  Kindness, Perseverance, Integrity and Tenacity.  Think about those values that will be defined in 2015.  Then, reflect on how you will teach and demonstrate those values within our school community.

Purposeful reflection is extremely important.  The holiday break provides us the time to reflect and extend ourselves to those less fortunate than us, to continue our friendships, to rekindle those relationships that have been lost, and most importantly spend the necessary time with our families in celebration of each other.    Before we know it, the holiday season will be over and we will be back together continuing the amazing work that we do.  Don’t let this season pass you by without taking the necessary special moments in life.  Best wishes to all for a wonderful holiday season and Happy New Year!

Happy Holidays,

Ken Saranich