The SIS Viking

Headmaster’s Corner: Teamwork is the Keystone to Our Success

Mr. Kenneth Saranich

Mr. Kenneth Saranich

Mr. Saranich, Shelton Intermediate School Headmaster

Dear Friends of SIS,

As we bring closure to the quarter and begin a new, I would like to thank all the members of the Shelton Community for making our first marking period such a success. As I have stated in my earlier messages, this year’s school opening was the best I have experienced in my career. We began this school year focusing on the idea that Teamwork is the Keystone to Our Success.  This focus has been demonstrated through the continuous hard work of the staff, students and parents.

Within the first marking period, students and staff bonded together. Many teams participated in team-building activities.  The results of this work can be seen in displays around the school and the actions of the members of the school community. The pinnacle of the quarter had to be Nature’s Classroom.  During this time, we initiated our 7th graders as part of the SIS family. Upon return, the school worked together to support community efforts and activities centering around teamwork. Events such as “Valley Goes Pink”, “Stomp-out Bullying” and the SIS Veteran’s Day tribute demonstrated how we are learning to appreciate each other and our world around us. We worked together to make a positive influence on the community and lead by example through our values of respect, responsibility and safety.

Of course the first quarter also involved our responsibilities of teaching and learning. During these past few weeks, the staff and I developed the building’s School Improvement Plan (SIP). The SIP is created from an analysis of current data on our students by the staff. This data then determines our focus areas for improvement. With this document, our school’s goals are established for the year. Each teacher and I set our personal and professional goals related to the SIP as we work towards the education of our students. By having this common plan, we work together in the improvement of teaching and learning for all students.

In order for us to reach our school’s SIP goal, we will need the continued cooperation and support from home. As we set our goals for improvement, I encourage families to share their goals and expectations of the school year with each other. Working together as a team, we provide our students with a focus and instill in them the concepts of purpose and awareness. As a learning community, we need to make great strides in our educational growth in a short period of time. Student focus is paramount in making this possible.

As I reflect upon this first marking period, I could not be prouder to be the Headmaster of this incredible learning community. What the students and staff of SIS have accomplished in the first few months of this school year solidifies why SIS is a great part of the Shelton community.

For us to continue working towards improvement, we need to work as a team. Next week, our first round of parent/teacher conferences will take place. Our conferences are a time in which the key components of the school/family/relationship (the parent, the teacher and the student) come together. I hope you find this time productive. It is important that parents gain important information about their child’s current progress in school. It is my expectation that conferences provide strategies to help our students be successful in school.

I look forward to meeting parents through informal open dialogues and discussions regarding our students and the school’s improvement plan.  As I have shared, our school’s motto is “Leadership, Teamwork and Focus“.  Teamwork is the keystone.  Together we can make your child’s educational experience a success.