The student news site of Shelton Intermediate School

The SIS Viking

The Gaels Season Comes To A End :(

Ashley K.

After their great win against Derby on Thanksgiving the Shelton Gaels football team got ready for state playoffs.

Their first playoff game was against Hall High from West Hartford with the Gaels winning 42-14. Shelton continued to go farther with their next game as the Class LL Championship game against Xavier from Middletown in West Haven on Dec. 13th. Unfortunately, the Gaels suffered a 28-27 devastating loss against Xavier after going in overtime.

The Gaels had great Defense and Offense plays, but the losing to the block of the field goal the final score was 27-28. The Gaels played a great game, they gave it their all but it was just no their day. I had an intervliew with the head coach of the Shelton Gaels about the playoffs and the championship game.

The Playoffs, He prepped his team for the Playoff game by practicing like any other week of practice. They had coaches meetings, game plans, and practices. Also they watch some extra film on the opponent. The team and coaches did not find the playoff game challenging they found it very exiting, for both the players and the coaches. Coach Jeff Roy (Head Coach) says “We played an excellent game and held a 35-0 lead at halftime.”

The Championship Game, He prepped his team for the championship game just like any week of practice. This particular practice they put in some extra time on their game plan just to make sure the were fully prepared for the game. The coach and the players found this game to be a very challenging game. For the championship game they played Xavier, they had a very familiar league rival with them.  The head coach, if he could would do some things differently in the championship game. Overall the coach Roy says that coaches and players did there best and left it all on the field. Coach Roy said “I am very proud of all my players and what they accomplished this year.”

Roll Gaels!